by Dhara Patel
This year marks the 100th Anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment, which guarantees women the constitutional right to vote. The National Women’s History Alliance has announced that the theme for Women’s History Month in 2020 is “Valiant Women of the Vote,” in order to commemorate the brave women who fought to win suffrage rights for women. March 8th is International Women’s Day, and this year the focus will be on forging an equal world, raise awareness against bias, celebrate women’s achievements, and take action for equality.
All women should be treated equally in all relationships. However, according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, recent studies have indicated that nearly 1 in 4 of all women will experience dating violence in their lifetime, and nearly 1 in 10 female teens face dating violence in the last year. Along with this, the NCADV found that young females will experience dating violence can experience severe negative consequences, including depression and anxiety, engaging in unhealthy behaviors such as drugs and alcohol, exhibiting antisocial behaviors and thinking about suicide.
This International Women’s Day, women are encouraged to support equality for all women— and that includes breaking the cycle of gender-based violence.
If you want to feel empowered by inspirational women present and past and make this year’s Women’s History Month memorable, then check out these amazing events happening in NYC for Women’s History Month.
- Women Songwriters Night
- March 7: 8:00 PM – 11:59 PM
- Location: The Peoples’ Voice Cafe
- Celebrate female musicians and enjoy the night with talented women who want to celebrate women’s history month.
- International Women’s Day Celebration: New York City
- March 8: 5:00 PM onwards
- Location: Washington Square Park
- Begin the evening by receiving a flower and share with women who inspire you. Then continue the evening with free mini-classes, raffles, free gifts and more.
- Poetry Reading Circle
- March 15: 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
- Location: 2 West 64th Street, New York, NY
- Bring a few poems and talk about why you like them or you can just go to listen to the works of women poets.
- 14Y Women’s History Month Community Breakfast
- March 19: 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM
- Location: The 14th Street Y
- Meet up with new people and enjoy some food and converse about women and their contributions to society while having a good time.
- The 7th Annual Women Werk Conference: The Level Up
- March 21: 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM
- Location: Microsoft, Times Square
- Spend a day with women who have excelled in their careers and get a chance to connect with inspirational and powerful women.
- Beauty and the Fight Against Domestic Violence.
- March 26: 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Location: Brooklyn College’s Graduate Center for Worker Education
- Get the chance to empower women that belong to the Domestic Violence Free Program Purple State, and support the stars in the presentation of their own personal brand.
- Women’s History Month Art Exhibition in the Bronx
- March 27: 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM, March 28-29: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Location: Crotona Park
- In honor of Women’s History Month, Asser Levy is highlighting various talented women artists across different art styles. These women have inspired and created incredible works across many mediums. Discover their stories and let them spark your imagination!